Skip to main content

Run Your Own Race



I made it to the finals. Dang it! It's the 200 meter sprint, Bellingham, Washington on a beautiful
rubber track. What was I, 19? Sounds about right. I'm stretching and doing the high-knee jog when my coach comes down from the stands and onto the inner field. What's this? All of our training and preparation had been done. It'll be 'go time' any minute.

"What's up coach?"

"You've got to lean extra hard into the corner," she said.

"Yeah, I know."

"Here's how you're going to do it. Throw your right arm across your body like this," she demonstrated. "It'll feel awkward but it'll pull you into the lean. Adjust if you have to. When you come out of the corner you'll have a bigger sling shot than ever before."

I tried the technique. "Coach I don't know. You know how I—"

"Perfected your form I know. Just do it. And when you get to that back stretch let's hope your 400 meter stamina will gain your some real estate. Just run your own race." She walked away before I could rebuke.

I qualified eighth for the final. Eighth out of eight. That meant I was more than likely going to cross that finish line in last place. This was why I hoped I'd qualified ninth or tenth then I could claim top 10. But now...

Coach Kalaski didn't need to tell me to run my own race. I'd been doing that for the last three years I trained with her. It was always me against the clock. Work for that personal best. No one else existed on that track but me. It probably used to frustrate the other runners that liked to intimidate on the starting line before the race. But I can't say for sure whether or not they were bothered because I was always in my own zone. Some used to say I looked confident. No need to tell them the opposite was true. It was my business. Me and that clock. Still, running for me or not I never wanted to come in last. Dang it!

I could always claim that the 200 meter wasn't my race, which was true or that I hadn't trained enough blah, blah, blah but no. I was determined to beat at least one of those suckas out there that day. I trusted my coach as if she was my lawyer and I'd gotten away with something. Arm across the body, here we come!

My blocks were set, or so I thought. A teammate sprints over to me. "Move your back foot up an inch and a half on the block rail."

"What? No chance, it's already tight and—"

"Kalaski's orders," she says and trots back to the stands.

I reset the blocks and curse that now I'd be more cramped up then a two-hundred pound brother in the last row of an airplane—middle seat.

The starter's gun goes up. "On your marks...set."

I bring my butt up slowly the way coach taught me so that just as I reached the peak the gun would blast. I've got the starter's cadence locked, something that was always easy for me being that I was a drummer. Bang! I get a great start. I'm happy to be out of those darn blocks too. I was never known for great starts but this one is so good I think I'll hear the false start gun go off...but no. Excellent; a slight edge. I get all the way tall and start throwing that arm. It nearly pulls me out of my lane but I adjust...just like coach said. Fifty meters are gone and we're all locked up. No one has pulled away yet. I really must have got a killer start. I feel like I'm going to fall but instead of straightening up I go for it and lean harder...and harder still. I must have looked like one of those racing motorcycles that hug the corners until the foot peg scrapes the ground. I hear the other guys panting all around me.

I can't believe how close this race is but it ain't over yet. We're almost out of the corner. Jerseys start pulling ahead. Shit, I'm not out of the turn yet...ah, there we go. I feel like a catapult shoots me into the straight-away. Kalaski was right. The final hundred meters. I see backs of jerseys fluttering in the wind. I can't hear the crowd, my breathing is too loud. I treat the race like it's the final back stretch of a 400 meter race—my race!

I stretch out my stride eating up meter upon meter of track. My hands come up high in front and thrust back with vengeance. I see the backs of other runners but only three. Huh? That means I'm in fourth place. Can't be. Oh hell yeah it can be! I drive, drive, drive. Some guy comes up hard on my left, then another on my right. They don't shake me. Move your ass Jonathan its the 400, my race! I knock off the guy to my left, unsure where the one on my right is. Eyes start  watering due to the wind. Thirty meters to go. No one has crossed yet. I bring the knees up higher. I should feel lactic acid in the thighs but I don't because I trained for this—the work has been put in. Fifteen meters...dig...ten. I begin my forward lean willing that tape toward me. I've won more than a few races at the tape because I lean so hard I don't care if I face plant. And up to this point I haven't eaten it yet. Three strides left. Get it! Lean into the final strides Jonathan! "Aaaagh!" Whoosh, I cross. Mother*&%$#@ I'm glad it's over. I walk to the line and shake a few hands. Two teammates run onto the track with big smiles on their faces.

"You got fifth place! You got fifth!"

"What? nah uh!" I say and start laughing and hugging. "Unbelievable."

"You're a top five 200 meter runner this year! Woo hoo!"

I've always run my own race. On and off the track and I suggest you do the same. Don't worry about the other guy or what the other girl's got. Just do your thing and it will be the best version of that thing possible. And that my friends will bring you joy at the very least. I didn't win the race that day and had no illusions of doing so but I ran the race I wanted to run. (And didn't come in last!)

Fifteen minutes later I'm up in the stands with my coach and the team. You'd have thought that I won that dang race I'm so happy. Kalaski gives me a very muted congratulatory nod, which I didn't even need. She'd already given me what I needed—her wisdom. The official final results come in two minutes later. The leader board reveals that fourth and fifth place was a photo finish, separated by two-one hundredths of a second. And my name was on the fourth line with a time of 21.85 seconds. Coach Kalaski's mouth reveals nothing, however I do glimpse a smiling eye behind her sunglasses. I smiled too because I'd just squeezed a personal best out of that clock...and we weren't done yet!

**Please leave your comments below, share this blog and if you'd like a copy of my newsletter please let me know. And stay tuned. My book The Big Crescendo comes out November 2019! jonathanbrownwriter.com




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Her Comes The Nephew! Interview Part One!

Up till now I've been interviewing crime writers on this blog and I will continue to do so. But, I thought "hey, why not broaden the horizon of these sit-downs?" And so I'm proud to bring an artist in the hip hop and rap game. This cat is near and dear to my rock n roll heart because...he's my nephew Jonathan—named after some cat I know. Without further adieu and such...the nephew! a.k.a. That Jonny Brown JB: Thanks for doing this Youngblood. You're a musician like myself but in a totally different world. You rap, write beats and produce. Break some o' that down for us. TJB: No problem. I'm honored to be part of this. Yes, I started writing poetry in the 8th grade because a guest speaker who happened to be Jamaican and a musician taught  us poetry. His being Jamaican caught my attention (Jonathan and I have Jamaican blood pumping through us). He also told me I had a lot of potential. After that I'd write poetry here and there usually to impre

The Most Beautiful Thing I Ever Saw...

 I'm in a tangled relationship with cancer. But you knew that. If you didn't know, now you know. That's not what I'm here to talk about..not entirely. I'd taken my home chemo pack and just read thirty pages of a Brad Parks novel. I turned off my reading light and a delayed flash of light lingered where full illumination once was. Happens right? No biggie. That was, until the light flash took on the vibrant colors and shapes of a moving kaleidoscope. Hmm, that's odd. Oh, wait this was like when you rubbed your eyes too hard as a kid, it'll pass in a second...any second now. I lay and thought 'what is chemo doing now bro?' As if to answer my question I could pick out shapes, human shapes. My mind catapulted back in time to a wild mushroom trip I once enjoyed. But this was better than that. These people were African, and mostly women. My god my ancestors are here! I wanted to roar. I leaned across to my wife to wake her, she's got to see this. No!..

It's Linda Sands, Baby!

Welcome back cats. I've had the distinct privilege of chatting with author Linda Sands. Sands is a tornado of energy and one hell of a writer. Here's how it all went down... JB: Thanks so much for cruising by the blog. I had the pleasure of meeting you last year at the Bouchercon conference in Dallas. And when I say pleasure I mean that we had drinks and you are as haywire as I am...only funnier. Sands: Yeah we did shake that gathering up a bit, didn't we? If you ever need someone to drink your bourbon, stage a fake accident or direct a modeling shoot with a monster truck, I'm your girl. JB: Haha I thought I looked good in front of that bad-boy truck. But anyway...question: when did the writing bug grab you? And being a woman with a ton of horsepower how do you manage to sit still long enough to write books? Sands:I never thought of writing as career. It's just part of who I am—a born storyteller. No matter what job was brining in the money, I was still sp