Skip to main content

It's Linda Sands, Baby!



Welcome back cats. I've had the distinct privilege of chatting with author Linda Sands. Sands is a tornado of energy and one hell of a writer. Here's how it all went down...

JB: Thanks so much for cruising by the blog. I had the pleasure of meeting you last year at the Bouchercon conference in Dallas. And when I say pleasure I mean that we had drinks and you are as haywire as I am...only funnier.

Sands: Yeah we did shake that gathering up a bit, didn't we? If you ever need someone to drink your bourbon, stage a fake accident or direct a modeling shoot with a monster truck, I'm your girl.

JB: Haha I thought I looked good in front of that bad-boy truck. But anyway...question: when did the writing bug grab you? And being a woman with a ton of horsepower how do you manage to sit still long enough to write books?

Sands:I never thought of writing as career. It's just part of who I am—a born storyteller. No matter what job was brining in the money, I was still spinning tales. About twenty-five years ago I challenged myself to write and publish 50 short stories before starting my first novel. I learned a lot in  those early years. It's strange but I usually have to be active—and alone—to truly find the story. I always have a notebook, recorder or my phone ready to capture ideas, voices, characters, plot twists, or particulars. I've written entire scenes while driving.

JB: Please tell the gang where you grew up and what childhood/teen life looked like for young Linda.

Sands: I grew up in a small town in upstate N.Y. If you ask my parents about the early years they'll say, "Linda has always been a dreamer." (like it's a bad thing), followed by, "She was always getting into trouble, surrounding herself with strange people." So yeah, I was primed for a writing career from the beginning.

JB: Getting into trouble? You? I might know a little something about that...Ok. I like to read at least one of the books by the authors I chat with so I read Precious Cargo
and that baby was heavy, gritty, noir and well...awesome! How did you come up with your main character Jojo Bordeaux, the female, truck driving, badass?

Sands: JoJo Bordeaux was born out of a lie to my agent.

JB: Wait, writers lie? Mon Dieu!

Sands: Yup. I'd been working on a photo essay book about modern truck drivers, kind of a GQ bullet interview with HD images shot with a Conde Nast photographer I was traveling with to truck shows. When my agent admitted he had not had success selling the coffee table book, he asked if any of the interviews had opened a door to another story. Standing in my pantry staring at a box of Zatarain's Jambalaya mix, I blurred out that I had been working on an idea for a female trucker from Louisiana who solves mysteries on the road. He told me to send him the pages. I did. But I had to write them first.

JB: And the rest as they say...Now then, when you were coming up back in the day, say a guy wanted to impress you with his cooking. What dish when done well would he have you saying, "Hmm maybe I'll take this thing a little further. (as in date number two).

Sands: My experience has never been the guy trying to impress me with his cooking...that would have been a nice switch from the materialistic norm. I'd be impressed if it was a collaborative effort in his well organized and technologically advanced kitchen with fresh, healthy—but not too healthy—ingredients and lots of great wine. But I'm a tough critic. I have three chefs in my extended family and three former beaus also were chefs or line cooks. I'd be more impressed if men can clean their kitchen.

JB: How dare you on that last comment..but point taken. As I mentioned before (off blog) I was a road dog musician for a short stretch. In Precious Cargo you really captured the essence of life on the road: the gas stations, motels, diners, small towns etc. Other than research for what was going to be the photo essay book was their much road travel in your history? A tough talking traveling saleswoman perhaps?

Sands: I didn't have a job that required travel but I have taken many road trips for pleasure, logging in 41 states and living in six of them. I love a good adventure.

JB: That would do it. Ok, Lady Sands we'll hold up here for part 1 of your interview. Folks, stay tuned for part two where Sands really opens it up!

Lindasands.com
jonathanbrownwriter.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Her Comes The Nephew! Interview Part One!

Up till now I've been interviewing crime writers on this blog and I will continue to do so. But, I thought "hey, why not broaden the horizon of these sit-downs?" And so I'm proud to bring an artist in the hip hop and rap game. This cat is near and dear to my rock n roll heart because...he's my nephew Jonathan—named after some cat I know. Without further adieu and such...the nephew! a.k.a. That Jonny Brown JB: Thanks for doing this Youngblood. You're a musician like myself but in a totally different world. You rap, write beats and produce. Break some o' that down for us. TJB: No problem. I'm honored to be part of this. Yes, I started writing poetry in the 8th grade because a guest speaker who happened to be Jamaican and a musician taught  us poetry. His being Jamaican caught my attention (Jonathan and I have Jamaican blood pumping through us). He also told me I had a lot of potential. After that I'd write poetry here and there usually to impre

It's Linda Sands Baby! Part Two!

Ok Here we go again. We are back and we are live (sorta) with the always lovely and certainly no b.s. Linda Sands. JB: This next question is one writers often tire of being asked but some inquiring minds want to know so...do you outline or 'pants'? (write by the seat of your pants) Sands: I'm half and half. I never truly outline and I never truly run by the seat of my pants. I'll get the idea, hear the voice and roll with the protag or antag as my co-pilot until I know the twist and or the ending, then I make some notes to make sure I get there without getting too lost along the way. I have one book I wrote the outline for and now I'm too bored to write it. JB: What's your favorite alcohol beverage? Do you have seasonal drinks? i.e. rose´ in the summer and bourbon in winter? Sands: I like most alcohol. God that sounds bad. Right now I'm on a botanical vodka and indigo gin kick. Not together. One or the other with club soda, tonic or seltzer. Ther