Skip to main content

The Voice: From Prank Calls To Audiobooks

Let's say it's 1975. Myself and good buddy Chillydog have zip to do on a rainy Saturday afternoon. Ah ha! The rotary dial telephone—there's a source of fun and good times!

"Hello?"
"Hi, is your fridge running?" Chillydog asked.
"Why, yes it is."
"Well, ya better go get it before it gets too far away."
We roll with laughter as he hangs up the phone. My turn next:

"Hello?"
"Yes, have you read the book; The Open Kimono?"
"No."
"You should, it's written by Seymour Hair!"

Ah, the good old days. Fast forward to the 80's and the arrival of the answering machine. I loved leaving messages on my friends' machines. If I was calling a married couple I'd call the husband as a gay truck driver thanking him for the lovely romp in my sleeper cabin. Naturally, the following day I'd put on a female voice and call the wife as a lesbian lover thanking her for the romp in the women's washroom.

The best thing happened in 1995. I was working construction with a bass player buddy of mine. Being broke musicians with day jobs we were literally digging ditches...literally. He grabs his ghetto blaster (Old school tape machine, kids) and plops a cassette in.

"It's a comedy tape I dug up, you might like it," he says.
He hits play. It sounds familiar. It's a prank call. I stop and lean on my shovel. This stuff is kinda funny. The second fake call plays. Familiarity yet again.

"What the fu** is this? I've heard this before," I say.

My buddy is doubled over laughing because it wasn't until the third phony call that I realize I'm listening to my own voice! For eight months he saved my voice messages and burned them to tape. It was pure nonsense and I loved it. We listened to Jamaicans, Irishmen, gay women, straight dudes, cops, fictitious mayors the whole gamut. He had twenty-two minutes of my noise. All messages to he and his wife.

I was shocked that for all the voices I did, there really was very little in the way of material. But that made it even funnier—that and the times I totally repeated myself. What a fool!

Audiobooks baby, yeah!
Today, I'm working on my audiobook of Moose's Law...A Doug 'Moose" McCrae Story. I'm having an absolute blast. I was built for this jazz. Great author John Sheppird (The Shill series) attended my L.A. launch of Moose's Law. He bought a book, read it, then reached out to me.

"This is a great character; the loner, the hero...action is great. You should do the audiobook, you're voice would be great for this."

And so it went. John brought over his portable rig and taught me how to use it. I set up in my
studio/gym, did my vocal warm ups and started rappin'. Right out of the gate I ran into technical difficulties, causing me to unleash a ton of obscenities. Listening back to my harsh words gave me a good chuckle...then I erased the litany.

Message to all parents out there: if your kids are little rascals, let them free the rascal within.
Because sometimes from bad prank calls loaded with corny jokes grow groovy audiobooks!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Her Comes The Nephew! Interview Part One!

Up till now I've been interviewing crime writers on this blog and I will continue to do so. But, I thought "hey, why not broaden the horizon of these sit-downs?" And so I'm proud to bring an artist in the hip hop and rap game. This cat is near and dear to my rock n roll heart because...he's my nephew Jonathan—named after some cat I know. Without further adieu and such...the nephew! a.k.a. That Jonny Brown JB: Thanks for doing this Youngblood. You're a musician like myself but in a totally different world. You rap, write beats and produce. Break some o' that down for us. TJB: No problem. I'm honored to be part of this. Yes, I started writing poetry in the 8th grade because a guest speaker who happened to be Jamaican and a musician taught  us poetry. His being Jamaican caught my attention (Jonathan and I have Jamaican blood pumping through us). He also told me I had a lot of potential. After that I'd write poetry here and there usually to impre

The Most Beautiful Thing I Ever Saw...

 I'm in a tangled relationship with cancer. But you knew that. If you didn't know, now you know. That's not what I'm here to talk about..not entirely. I'd taken my home chemo pack and just read thirty pages of a Brad Parks novel. I turned off my reading light and a delayed flash of light lingered where full illumination once was. Happens right? No biggie. That was, until the light flash took on the vibrant colors and shapes of a moving kaleidoscope. Hmm, that's odd. Oh, wait this was like when you rubbed your eyes too hard as a kid, it'll pass in a second...any second now. I lay and thought 'what is chemo doing now bro?' As if to answer my question I could pick out shapes, human shapes. My mind catapulted back in time to a wild mushroom trip I once enjoyed. But this was better than that. These people were African, and mostly women. My god my ancestors are here! I wanted to roar. I leaned across to my wife to wake her, she's got to see this. No!..

It's Linda Sands, Baby!

Welcome back cats. I've had the distinct privilege of chatting with author Linda Sands. Sands is a tornado of energy and one hell of a writer. Here's how it all went down... JB: Thanks so much for cruising by the blog. I had the pleasure of meeting you last year at the Bouchercon conference in Dallas. And when I say pleasure I mean that we had drinks and you are as haywire as I am...only funnier. Sands: Yeah we did shake that gathering up a bit, didn't we? If you ever need someone to drink your bourbon, stage a fake accident or direct a modeling shoot with a monster truck, I'm your girl. JB: Haha I thought I looked good in front of that bad-boy truck. But anyway...question: when did the writing bug grab you? And being a woman with a ton of horsepower how do you manage to sit still long enough to write books? Sands:I never thought of writing as career. It's just part of who I am—a born storyteller. No matter what job was brining in the money, I was still sp