Skip to main content

The Nephew Interview Part Two, Baby!




Hola cats! I haven't posted in awhile and for that, big apologies to you all. Without further nonsense here's the second half to the interview with: That Jonny Brown.

JB: Let's say you have a girl sliding by the crib or say, your girlfriend. What is your go-to meal that you'll cook for her?

TJB: Stuffed peppers are my go-to dish. Especially with this health kick that's popular, that dish totally makes me look like I know what I'm doing.

JB: How do you begin writing a song? Do you start with a beat? A melody? A feeling or emotion? What gets you going?

TJB: Usually I start with a concept. Through experiences I have every day I'm constantly writing down ideas on my phone. Something like, "Tempo. Can you catch my tempo? Love song about getting on the same page with someone." I leave that there until I make a beat that makes me feel that way and I'll sit there and write the rest of it coming up with the melodies and rap cadences.

JB: Cool, I can dig that. OK, a lot of cats of my generation have trouble understanding or just plain getting down with rap or hip hop. Help us understand what you're all about. Open our minds and tell us why we should give you cats a listen.

TJB: I can totally understand that point of view because sadly, I feel the same way. Based on what I said earlier I have a hard time finding recent music I like. Music, like all art forms is subjective and people are going to like what they like. For me I try to blend styles of older music with the new sound. What is missing today is the clever and creative artistry of the old school so I try and grab that.

JB: Story time. What's the craziest thing a fan has said or done at one of your shows? And if your answer is sketchy I promise I won't let your parents see this...ok I semi-promise.

TJB: I've been blessed that most of my experiences have been positive. Recently a guy came up to me and told me that my show created a life changing experience for him. He'd been in a dark place and came to the show by himself. Because the crowd was jumping and singing along with my songs he joined in and had the time of his life. The next time I saw him he said his outlook on life was more positive. His words confirmed the power of music and why I do this stuff in the first place.

JB: Wow, I love that. You can't put a price on an experience like that. I'm proud o' you nephew! Thanks for slidin' by the blog and helping an uncle out!

TJB: Thank you for having me Uncle Tik Tak it's been a real pleasure.

thatjonnybrown@instagram
soundcloud.com/thatjonnybrown

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Her Comes The Nephew! Interview Part One!

Up till now I've been interviewing crime writers on this blog and I will continue to do so. But, I thought "hey, why not broaden the horizon of these sit-downs?" And so I'm proud to bring an artist in the hip hop and rap game. This cat is near and dear to my rock n roll heart because...he's my nephew Jonathan—named after some cat I know. Without further adieu and such...the nephew! a.k.a. That Jonny Brown JB: Thanks for doing this Youngblood. You're a musician like myself but in a totally different world. You rap, write beats and produce. Break some o' that down for us. TJB: No problem. I'm honored to be part of this. Yes, I started writing poetry in the 8th grade because a guest speaker who happened to be Jamaican and a musician taught  us poetry. His being Jamaican caught my attention (Jonathan and I have Jamaican blood pumping through us). He also told me I had a lot of potential. After that I'd write poetry here and there usually to impre

It's Linda Sands Baby! Part Two!

Ok Here we go again. We are back and we are live (sorta) with the always lovely and certainly no b.s. Linda Sands. JB: This next question is one writers often tire of being asked but some inquiring minds want to know so...do you outline or 'pants'? (write by the seat of your pants) Sands: I'm half and half. I never truly outline and I never truly run by the seat of my pants. I'll get the idea, hear the voice and roll with the protag or antag as my co-pilot until I know the twist and or the ending, then I make some notes to make sure I get there without getting too lost along the way. I have one book I wrote the outline for and now I'm too bored to write it. JB: What's your favorite alcohol beverage? Do you have seasonal drinks? i.e. rose´ in the summer and bourbon in winter? Sands: I like most alcohol. God that sounds bad. Right now I'm on a botanical vodka and indigo gin kick. Not together. One or the other with club soda, tonic or seltzer. Ther

It's Linda Sands, Baby!

Welcome back cats. I've had the distinct privilege of chatting with author Linda Sands. Sands is a tornado of energy and one hell of a writer. Here's how it all went down... JB: Thanks so much for cruising by the blog. I had the pleasure of meeting you last year at the Bouchercon conference in Dallas. And when I say pleasure I mean that we had drinks and you are as haywire as I am...only funnier. Sands: Yeah we did shake that gathering up a bit, didn't we? If you ever need someone to drink your bourbon, stage a fake accident or direct a modeling shoot with a monster truck, I'm your girl. JB: Haha I thought I looked good in front of that bad-boy truck. But anyway...question: when did the writing bug grab you? And being a woman with a ton of horsepower how do you manage to sit still long enough to write books? Sands:I never thought of writing as career. It's just part of who I am—a born storyteller. No matter what job was brining in the money, I was still sp